Betty's Dream
B-25J-35-NC SN 45-8835 "Betty's Dream"

B-25J-35-NC SN 45-8835 "Betty's Dream"

History

The B-25J-35-NC SN 45-8835 now flying as "Betty's Dream" was delivered when the North American Aviation B-25 contract was terminated. She was flown directly to the RFC from the factory. The following summary of assignments are listed on her record card:

Base Assignments

Date Location Notes
10/14/1945 Cincinnati, OH Storage
10/15/1945 Cincinnati, OH Surplus

She was sold on February 28, 1946 to Lodwick Aircraft Industries of Lakeland Florida at a surplus auction in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas. In June of 1946, she was sold again to the Eclipse Pioneer Division of the Bendix Aviation Corporation in Teterboro, New Jersey. While with the Bendix Group she was transferred between various departments within the corporation for test work. During the 1950s she was operated by Bendix in a distinctive blue and white color scheme that later gave way to a red and white scheme and had a large humpback addition attached at the top turret location. This dome section housed the director for the flight testing of the autopilot then being designed and tested by Bendix. She was also used in several other airborne testing programs while in the employment of Bendix. Between l946 and l972 she was used by both the aeronautical division and the testing divisions of Bendix. Maintenance during this time was kept to a very high standard. A special hanger was erected for a B-25 at Teterboro, New Jersey the location of Bendix Corporation Electronics Division. The hanger was located across the street from the airport at Teterboro. A gate was opened on the Bendix compound and the B-25 taxied across the road to the airport. This allowed easy access to flight operations while being kept on Bendix property. After 20 years in service with Bendix in New Jersey she was transferred to the Bendix Radio division in Maryland and was based out of Baltimore. Operated for the next several years from this location she was finally retired by Bendix in 1972. She was sold in December of that year to Aurora Aviation Ltd. of Edmonton, Alberta who transferred her to Northwestern Air Lease Ltd. of St. Albert, Alberta. Her civil registration was assigned as CF-DKU. Aurora Aviation of Alberta, Canada converted her into a diesel fuel tanker. A storage tank was installed in the bomb bay. She was used for carrying fuel to the Arctic and Northwest Territory of Canada. She served in this role until 1976 when she suffered a nose gear failure. Repairs were made using parts of B-25 44-30791 that was idle near Edmonton at the time. She was sold in 1975 to G and M Aircraft Ltd. of St. Albert, Alberta and flew as "Tanker #336". She was removed from service and sold in September of 1994 to C and P Aviation Services of Wayzata, Minnesota. Her registration was changed to the current N5672V in September of 1994. From 1994 to 1999, she underwent restoration work. Her first flight after restoration was in March of 1999. Since restoration, she has flown as "Betty's Dream". She is now owned by the Texas Flying Legends Museum.

  • Model: B-25J-35-NC
  • Serial Number: 45-8834
  • NAA Mfg. Number: 108-47686
  • FAA Registration: N5672V
  • Mfg. Plant: Fairfax - Kansas City, Kansas
  • Completion Date: October 14, 1945
  • Delivery Date: Contract Termination
  • Status: Flying
  • Owner: Texas Flying Legends Museum
  • Location: Houston, Texas
  • Website: http://www.texasflyinglegends.org/
  • Notable info:

Photos


This page represents the most current information we have on this aircraft. The information above was last updated 05/2018 with information provided by Bob Haney. Our goal is to have the most current and correct information possible. If you have any information about this aircraft not listed here or see anything posted in error, please contact the B-25 History Project so we may update our records.